15.5 plus years old
No previous experience required
For new or occasional riders
16 hours, 1 evening plus 2 days
Online classroom Wed evening
Minimum 21 years old
Entrance riding test required! See link below: 1DPC Entry Exercise Test V02
For frequent experienced riders
8 hours, 1 day
Classroom & riding at the same location
CMSP Course Eligibility
Any individual, 15.5 years of age or older, who wishes to participate in a CMSP MTC or 1DPC must have a valid Government-issued photo ID. This can be from California, another state, or another country. Any person younger than 18 years must also have the written permission of his/her parent(s) or legal guardian. CMSP accepts out-of-state and out-of-country student credentials that are acceptable to the California Department of Motor Vehicles.
No Guarantee of License
Although successful completion of the CMSP MTC and 1DPC currently serves to waive the DMV riding skill test, neither CMSP nor TCTI guarantees that completion of either course will ensure that the individual will be issued a license in the state of California
Students under 21: $295.00
Students 21 and over: $ 350.00
Student fees are based on the age of the student on the day he/she pays for the course
Payment is due at time of registration.
Students may use their personally-owned motorcycles to participate in the CMSP MTC, provided the student’s personal motorcycle meets at least two of three criteria. The three criteria are:
- 1. An engine displacement of 500cc or less
- 2. An unladen weight of 400 pounds or less
- 3. A seat height of 30” or less
Additional Requirements for Students who Use Their Own Motorcycles
- 1. A valid motorcycle license or temporary permit.
- 2. Students are responsible for any damage to their motorcycle or equipment as a result of their participation in the class.
- 3. Motorcycles will be inspected before class to detect defects that could impair handling or control in accordance with the safety inspection.
Students 20 and under, who are not already properly licensed or have a valid motorcycle permit, shall not be allowed to ride to or from the training site. Should the student request to use his/her personal motorcycle, the motorcycle shall be trailered or ridden to the site by a licensed operator.
Required Safety Gear
Required protective gear for students includes:
- a. Full-coverage, Modular, or 3⁄4-coverage DOT-compliant helmet (full-coverage recommended)
- b. Shatter-resistant eye protection
- c. Sturdy over-the-ankle footwear with a minimum height of 5” above the heel. Motorcycle-specific recommended, Construction or Hiking allowed. Basketball or tennis style NOT allowed.
- d. Long-sleeved shirt or jacket (motorcycle-specific jacket recommended)
- e. Long non-flared durable pants (motorcycle-specific recommended) without any rips or holes.
- f. Full-fingered street-motorcycle-specific or leather gloves (mechanics-style gloves, off- road gloves, etc. are NOT allowed)